Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Wacky Wednesday Seuss cookies

"It all began with a shoe on the wall.  A shoe on the wall shouldn't be there at all."
~Dr. Seuss

I am not a Pinterest mother.  Don't get me wrong: I admire you.  I aspire to be like you.  I just totally lack the creativity and talent.

That being said, when our beloved childcare provider Betty launched "Dr. Seuss" week at preschool AND my son, Miles, was "snack helper," I was determined to be creative.  Once again, Google prevailed where creativity lacked.  This time Souders Cookery helped me out; thank you whoever/wherever you are. My Tuesday night project: Rainbow Pinwheel Cookies.  Very fun, Seuss-like, and fairly easy to make.

  • Ingredients: sugar cookie dough, food coloring, rainbow sprinkles
  1. Make a batch of your favorite sugar cookie dough.  Store-bought mix works, although I used the Better Homes and Gardens recipe.
  2. Chill the dough.  (I skipped this step.)
  3. Divide your dough into 5 balls and dye them using food coloring and your hands.  (This is messy.  If you involve children in this process, look forward to several days of green fingers.)
  4. To make one cookie: 
  • Take a grape-sized ball of each color
  • Roll the 5 grapes into one bigger, multi-                   colored ball
  • Roll the bowl between your hands and the counter into a cylindrical shape (it will look like a psychedelic Play-Doh snake)
  • Roll your cylinder/snake into a pinwheel/coil
  • If desired, roll the edges of the cookie in a bowl of rainbow sprinkles
  1. Repeat until you run out of dough
  2. Bake 8-10 minutes at 350 on an ungreased sheet
  3. Cool, serve, enjoy.  (And, if your cookies look better than mine, post them on Pinterest.)

No comments:

Post a Comment