Thursday, March 21, 2013

Grumpy gratitude

My best friend's mother has been a guru and guiding force in my life for all 17 years that I have known her.  She has given me some of the best advice on the planet, including:

  • "Honey, just hold your head high and tell them all to eat shit." (when faced with nasty gossip)
  • "Just remember, a dollar for college and two for therapy." (when faced with parenting woes)
  • "Live with dignity." (when faced with life in general)
I sorted out some of my biggest life issues on her back porch and always loved her insight.  I remember discussing gratitude journals with her.  She said she dabbled in journaling about gratitude when it was big and told me: "One day I had a really bad day.  At the end of the day, I didn't know what to write in my journal.  Then I remembered watching Ricky Martin dance on the Today show.  It wasn't much, but I was grateful for it.  So, there's always something."

She is a wise and amazing woman.  And today, I'm taking a page out of her book.  I am a mostly positive person and try to look for the best in life, but for the past two hours I have been in a really crummy mood.  

Here are ten reasons I (and many of us!) need to shake the negativity:
  1. I have two children who give my life meaning.  Has one been sick in bed all week with the stomach bug?  Yes.  Did the other cut my nose with a broken broom handle by accident (sort of) two days ago?  Yup.  Would I trade them for anything in the world?  Nope.
  2. I have a husband who makes me laugh, listens to my grumbles, gives me coffee in the morning, and whom I love.  In place of a fairy tale, we have a real working relationship and we're partners in making our ever after happy.  (Added bonus: since he knows I'm grumpy, he's poured me a glass of wine, done the dishes, and loaded the washer.)
  3. I have two parents and two stepparents that love me and are proud of me.  They overlook the ugly teen years and think the best of me.  In adulthood, they have become friends, confidantes, and allies.
  4. I have two sisters who are among my very best friends.  Though we live far apart, we are closer than we have ever been.  They inspire me and make me proud.
  5. I know the smartest, funniest, most creative, exciting, fun-loving and wonderful women in the world.  And I get to call them my friends.  Additionally, my extended family rocks.
  6. I go to a job every day that I love and do work that I feel is meaningful.  
  7. I come home to house every day that I love and have things that many world citizens lack - like clean, running water, heat, and a full refrigerator.
  8. I am healthy. My children are healthy. My husband is healthy.  My parents are healthy.  My sisters are healthy.  My friends are healthy.  (That is enough right there.)
  9. I live in a country, generation, and social class where I largely control my own destiny through choice and education.  Admittedly, I live a life of privilege.
  10. I know a wise woman who is right- there is always something for which to be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment