Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Driving my family crazy... for posterity

When we were kids and my mother wanted to take yet another picture of us, she would always say "It's for posterity."

Fast forward 25 years and enter digital cameras...  posterity has taken on a new meaning.  

I am a picture fanatic.  I take thousands of pictures of my children every year.  Although I am a minimalist when it comes to "stuff", I admittedly hoard digital images.  Will I ever really want 18 images of my daughter in the outfield during any given softball game?  Probably not.  Will I delete even one of those images?  Never.

Then I got an iPhone and Project 365 became my new obsession.  Their motto: Document a year of your life by taking a photo a day.  My reaction?  Yes please!  Let's call it image journalling... this is a great and easy way for Smart Phone users to keep a visual record of their life- or the growth of their children...  or pets... or plants?  At the end of the year, I'll make a digital scrapbook with a page to feature each week and we'll have a record of our year in pictures.  (I also keep a written 5 year journal, but it's not like I'm going to put that on the coffee table for visitors to peruse.)  

So now it's my kids and husband that groan when I want to take yet another picture of them, and what do I say?  "It's for posterity..."

No comments:

Post a Comment